Close Menu
New York Daily News Online
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    New York Daily News OnlineNew York Daily News Online
    • Home
    • US News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Science
    • Books
    • Film
    • Music
    • Television
    • LifeStyle
    • Contact
      • About
      • Amazon Disclaimer
      • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    New York Daily News Online
    Home»Politics

    UAE severs trade with Iran after reported missile strike

    AdminBy AdminAugust 19, 2026 Politics
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit

    UAE freezes out Iran after missile threats

    The United Arab Emirates said it had paused all trade and financial transactions with Iran, after reporting that two ballistic missiles were launched from the country toward its territorial waters.

    Both fell into the water and caused no damage or casualties, the UAE said on Wednesday. However, the reported strike represents an unwelcome return of the conflict to the Gulf economy’s shores after more than three months. Weeks of Iranian drone and missile attacks on the UAE earlier this year, the vast majority of which were intercepted, sparked tensions among locals and hammered the country’s tourism and aviation industry.

    The UAE said it had taken the step to indefinitely suspend trade “in light of regional escalations that undermine regional and international peace and security.”

    Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei rejected the claim that Tehran had launched a missile at the UAE.

    Talks stalled

    The incident comes with progress toward any U.S.-Iranian ceasefire or agreement on the Strait of Hormuz at a standstill.

    President Donald Trump on Tuesday confirmed the U.S. is not currently in any talks with Iran and has no plans to restart them, a claim Tehran had already made. Trump also ruled out extending the 60-day ceasefire agreement, which expired Monday, after the deal effectively fell apart.

    That has left the belligerents to consider their next stages in the prolonged conflict.

    Oil could surge above $100 for weeks as Iran deal remains elusive: Analyst

    A key point of contention remains control of the Strait of Hormuz. Trump has repeatedly stated that the vital shipping waterway is open and in operation under U.S. control.

    However, observed ship traffic through the passage remains extremely low. An attack on a cargo vessel transiting the strait earlier this week killed one person.

    Iran has considered attacking U.S. military targets in Europe if the war escalates, the Financial Times reported Wednesday, citing two regime insiders. U.S. assets in Bulgaria and Cyprus were weighed as potential targets, according to the FT’s report.

    Read more U.S.-Iran war news

    This week, Trump has extended his verbal attacks to longstanding U.S. allies. On Monday, the president threatened to “bomb the s— out of” Oman if the Gulf nation “gets in the way” of its objectives in the Middle East.

    He also ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” joint drills with South Korea, accusing Seoul of failing to help with its military operation in Iran and citing his friendly relations with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

    — CNBC’s Spencer Kimball contributed to this story.

    Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.

    Read the original article here

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit

    you might also be interested in...

    Iran Yanks the Middle East Away from the USA? By Howard Bloom

    Bessent says U.S. likely won’t restart large-scale Iran combat as it steps up economic pressure

    Trump declares ‘economic warfare’ on Iran, threatens its backers

    A fraying U.S. umbrella is raising the risk of nuclear cascade

    Data centers, crypto, tax revisions at issue in primary elections

    L3Harris ousts CEO Chris Kubasik over conduct, stock drops

    Popular Posts

    Trump scaling down U.S.-South Korea drills could risk more than just joint military readiness

    China is defying the global bond yield surge, boosting haven appeal

    Oso Oso Announce North American Tour

    Repentance+ Online Release Goes Head-To-Head With GTA 6 On November 19

    Hypersonic missile startup Castelion raises $1 billion 

    Trump declares ‘economic warfare’ on Iran, threatens its backers

    Categories
    • Books (2,238)
    • Business (3,165)
    • Cover Story (52)
    • Events (86)
    • Feature (4)
    • Film (1,685)
    • LifeStyle (2,309)
    • Music (2,608)
    • Politics (2,096)
    • Science (2,529)
    • Technology (2,472)
    • Television (2,611)
    • Uncategorized (34)
    • US News (3,007)
    Archives
    Useful Links
    • Contact
    • About
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    © 2026 New York Daily News Online. All rights reserved. All articles, images, product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement unless specified. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.