Scientists from The University of Texas at Austin have developed an innovative low-cost gel film that could one day help people who live in drylands without easy access to clean drinking water. This material is capable of pulling drinking water from the air in even the arid climates, and the items used to facilitate this reaction cost just $2 per kilogram, with a single kilogram having the ability to produce more than 6 liters of water per day.
That’s right, despite its low cost, it can make 6 liters of water per day in areas with less than 15% relative humidity or up to 13 liters in areas with up to 30% relative humidity. What is it made from? A renewable cellulose and konjac gum, a common kitchen ingredient, as a main hydrophilic (attracted to water) skeleton. The open-pore structure of gum speeds up the moisture-capturing process, while thermo-responsive cellulose with hydrophobic (resistant to water) interaction when heated, helps release the collected water near instantly so that overall energy input to produce water is minimized. Artificial intelligence was not used during the design process, but it can already remove water from underwater images.
Playz Brain Freeze Ice Cream Candy Making Food Science Kit – 18+ Yummy STEM Experiments, 36 Page Lab Guide, 13+ Ingredients and Tools for Boys, Girls, Kids, and Teenagers
- YUMMY FUN SCIENCE – Inspiring young kids to learn has never been easier…or more delicious! Make instant ice that melts, invert sugar crystals, brew tasty sorbets, whip up some slushy, creamy, jelly, or yogurt flavored ice cream in strawberry, banana, or vanilla flavors…and much more all through science! Perfect christmas or birthday gift for boys, girls, kids, & teenagers Ages 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+ Years Old
- EASY TO FOLLOW – Playz next generation science kits include color laboratory guides and instructions with pictures that tell educational stories resulting in super easy to follow science projects that motivates A+ grades in school. This allows our kids to develop different cognitive skills while having fun making discoveries through challenging chemical reactions…they don’t even know they’re becoming smarter through chemistry recipes!
- EXCITING EDUCATION – Combine STEM toys concepts with over 18 hands on experiments to unleash a massive amount of learning potential in children and teenagers. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
- LOADED WITH VALUE – Our Brain Freeze kitchen science kit is jam packed with experiments that foster curiosity, a 36 page activities and lab guide, and over 13 tools & ingredients. (Some additional common household supplies may be necessary for some experiments)
- TRUST OUR PLAYZ PROMISE – Do your research! You know the quality you will get when purchasing a Playz product. If you are unhappy with your purchase, contact us at anytime for a refund.
This is not something you need an advanced degree to use. It’s straightforward enough that anyone can make it at home if they have the materials,” said Youhong ‘Nancy’ Guo, the lead author on the paper.