Lift Energy Storage Systems (LEST) wants to transform skyscrapers into massive gravity batteries, literally. This gravity-based storage system utilizes the structure’s elevators as well as height to store energy. It stores power by lifting wet sand containers or other high-density materials remotely in and out of an elevator with autonomous trailer devices.
LEST would then link two storage sites: one located on the bottom of a tall building (lower storage site) and the other at the top. If successful, this gravity battery system can create additional value for the power grid and the building owner. As storage containers are elevated from a lower floor to the top, potential energy is generated and stored. Speaking of skyscrapers, have you ever seen Top Tower? It’s the skyscraper designed to look like a shipwreck.
LEGO Architecture New York City 21028, Build It Yourself New York Skyline Model Kit for Adults and Kids (598 Pieces)
- Creative builders will love bringing the Big Apple to life with this detailed model of the New York City Skyline, The model skyscrapers and towers within this building kit allow you to recreate the magic of the city that never sleeps
- This model building kit features iconic New York architecture including the Statue of Liberty, Flatiron Building, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, and the One World Trade Center; each architecture model scaled for an accurate representation
- Whether this set is an architecture model for adults or a toy building gift for kids, it will provide endless hours of fun as the LEGO Architecture building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building
- This architecture toy also comes with a collectible booklet containing information about the design, architecture and history of these toy skyscrapers
- New York City Skyline building toy measures 10 inches high, 9 inches wide, and 1 inch deep. This creative kit contains 598 pieces and is great for boys and girls over the age of 12 years old
I have always been fascinated with topics involving potential energy, in other words, generating energy with changes in altitude, such as hydropower, pumped-storage, buoyancy, and gravity energy storage. The concept of gravity energy storage has also recently received significant attention in the scientific community and start-ups. The concept of LEST came to me after having spent a considerable amount of time going up and down in a lift since recently moving into an apartment on the 14th floor,” said Julian Hunt, lead author and researcher in the IIASA Sustainable Service Systems Research Group.