Close Menu
New York Daily News Online
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    New York Daily News OnlineNew York Daily News Online
    • Home
    • US News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Science
    • Books
    • Film
    • Music
    • Television
    • LifeStyle
    • Contact
      • About
      • Amazon Disclaimer
      • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    New York Daily News Online
    Home»US News

    Top U.S. commander acknowledges mental health issues on USS Lincoln

    AdminBy AdminAugust 17, 2026 US News
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit

    U.S. Navy sailors heave on a line during a fueling-at-sea on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln during the Operation Epic Fury attack on Iran from an undisclosed location March 10, 2026.

    U.S. Navy | Via Reuters

    U.S. Central Command Commander Adm. Brad Cooper on Sunday acknowledged mental health challenges aboard the USS Lincoln after reports that a sailor jumped overboard amid the aircraft carrier’s long Middle East deployment.

    “Here’s an important fact: Of the U.S. Navy’s 11 active aircraft carriers, the Lincoln currently has among the lowest number of cases related to mental health,” Cooper said in a statement posted to X following his visit to the ship on Saturday. “This doesn’t mean that all is perfect. Find any of the nearly 4 million Navy veterans in America today and they will likely tell you that service at sea for long periods isn’t for everyone.”

    Cooper’s visit and statement follow reports of widespread morale and mental health issues aboard the Lincoln, which has been deployed for more than eight months. The Navy Times reported last week that several sailors had attempted to go overboard, and Stars and Stripes also reported on widespread mental health issues.

    Read more CNBC politics and policy coverage

    Cooper, the top U.S. commander in the war with Iran, said his visit to the ship was “awe-inspiring” and lauded the crew for “stepping up and making mental health and crew resilience a leadership priority.”

    President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, however, have sought to downplay reports of deteriorating morale aboard the Lincoln.

    Asked by a reporter on Friday whether the Lincoln’s deployment has gone on too long, Trump said, “No, no, no” and added, “not nearly long enough.” The president also said that the Lincoln would soon be replaced in the region by a different carrier.

    Hegseth said that reports are “completely misrepresented.”

    The USS George Washington is now headed toward the Middle East and is expected to take the place of the Lincoln, MS Now reported.

    Lawmakers, meanwhile, have questioned and criticized the Pentagon over conditions aboard the Lincoln.

    Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., who serves on the Senate Armed Services and Intelligence Committees, said in a statement on Saturday that there “must be accountability for the reported deteriorating conditions endured by our service members serving in a reckless war started with no justification, no strategy, and no end in sight.”

    “I demand hearings, accountability, and a clear plan to protect our service members and prioritize American families,” she said.

    Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.

    Read the original article here

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit

    you might also be interested in...

    How Corgi is using AI to challenge BlackRock and start new ETF fee war

    Housing investors say this is their worst market in at least 3 years

    Nvidia discloses $21 billion stake in SpaceX at end of second quarter

    Anthropic revenue jumps to over $11.5 billion in Q2: report

    Russia’s wartime economy faces growing pressure

    Trump family-backed crypto firm World Liberty gets conditional bank charter approval

    Popular Posts

    This is what it sounded like when everyone at Boomtown festival got the government wildfire phone alert at once

    Is The MacBook Pro M5 Still Worth Buying After The Price Hike?

    New image captures glowing shock waves in the Helix Nebula – Physics World

    Kennedy Center board votes to put Trump name on facade

    Book Riot’s Deals of the Day for August 16, 2026

    Origins’ When He Was Against Doing Network TV

    Categories
    • Books (2,231)
    • Business (3,154)
    • Cover Story (52)
    • Events (86)
    • Feature (4)
    • Film (1,678)
    • LifeStyle (2,309)
    • Music (2,601)
    • Politics (2,088)
    • Science (2,522)
    • Technology (2,465)
    • Television (2,604)
    • Uncategorized (34)
    • US News (2,996)
    Archives
    Useful Links
    • Contact
    • About
    • Amazon Disclaimer
    • DMCA / Copyrights Disclaimer
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    © 2026 New York Daily News Online. All rights reserved. All articles, images, product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names used in this website are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement unless specified. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.